Monday, May 9, 2011

hubris

I had to go and invoke the gods, didn't I?  With all my talk of treasuring each of my last moments in the dance world, they had to swoop in and play around with fate a little.  I thought for once, I wouldn't have to make the hard decision, that the world would nudge me in a direction, and my path would become clear, and for two weeks, I almost believed it.  It was not to be.

Remember that little post called "decisions"?  When I thought I had my life figured out, enough to at least know my next step, where to send my bags, who was going to be in my daily life... Well... scratch that.  After I cannot tell you how much oscillating and discussing and imagining and re-discussing, I have a new decision.  We'll see if I can stick with it this time.

Next year, I will not be going to Columbia.  Instead, I will be living in the south of France, dancing with Ballet du Capitole, where I know no one.  But I do know how to dance, and that this place could make me a better dancer, a more complex artist, a more textured person.  I can spend a whole chapter of my life living abroad, dancing Balanchine and Kylian and Giselle, exploring a whole new culture and finding my place in it.  So, off on an equally exciting adventure, if you'd like to follow me across the Atlantic.  On y va!

No comments:

Post a Comment