Sunday, August 28, 2011

figs and farmer's markets and le fou

Mm, for lunch today, I celebrated my spoils from the big farmer's market at the base of St. Aubin church:

Olive Oil
Half an Onion, diced
Balsamic Vinegar
1 cup of vegetable broth
6 Fresh Figs, washed and cut into 1/8ths
Tofu
Fresh thick bread
Good goat cheese

Sauté the onion in the olive oil until it begins to soften, then add a large splash of balsamic and let it reduce for a few minutes.  Add the broth and the figs, and stir as it continues to reduce.  Add the tofu after another few minutes, and keep boiling off the moisture until the sauce becomes almost thick. 

Slice the bread, and layer the goat cheese on top of each slice.  Spoon the fig-tofu-balsamic mixture over top, and enjoy as the cheese gets gooey from the heat. :) 

Yum.  I had a lovely morning, walking around the market and looking at all the incredibly fresh produce, spices, and baked goods.  I also found a vendor selling beautiful hand-painted pottery, which I'm worried I'll have to visit again (he assured me he was there almost every week) because I'm not sure I can only buy two mugs...  I hovered around the stall for probably at least 10 minutes, trying to envision my someday dream kitchen, and pick out the colors that will fit in best. Hm hm.  Green for things that grow, yellow for Sophie's birds, red for the scarlet-colored walls.... :) 


Unfortunately, my high from speaking French so very successfully, communicating how I wanted exactly that sort of cheese, pretty please and yes that size is perfect, was squandered at the bus stop.  Waiting with my groceries, and a few other people, I was about to sit down at the bus stop when a crazy homeless man wandered up with his cigarette and explained how he was going to sit down, if it didn't bother me.  I let him sit, no harm done, and was looking down the street when he tried to ash his cigarette down the back of my leg into my boot.  I was so upset and confused that it probably is a really good thing that my French wasn't prepared for such a situation, because I sure as hell was yelling at him in English in my head.  I mean, I guess it's not his fault that he is insane, but you also don't flick cigarette ash down someone's boots. Hmph.  The other ladies at the bus stop were very supportive of me standing at the other end from him, and as one was getting on the bus, she shrugged at me and something along the lines of "il est fou" -- he's crazy.  Well, I guess I can't have left all the crazies behind, but it was amazing quite how angry it made me not to be able to actually give him a piece of my mind.  Trust the homeless guy to be the one to remind me how, in so many ways, I'm very far from home.  

I'm going out to dinner tonight with most of the other new dancers and some of the ones who have been here a while, to the one real vegetarian restaurant that they recommend.  It'll be nice to get a chance to get to hang out with people (well, actually, I could stop that sentence there and it'd still be true) away from the studio, get to hear more about their interests outside of dance, what they think about Toulouse, all that.  I have tomorrow off as well, and then rehearsals next week for both Giselle and La Reine Morte, the ballet by the director-to-be.  Kader Belarbi is taking over the company next summer, but is choreographing our October program as well.  I'll keep you posted on how working with him is, it should be interesting to get a glimpse into how he runs things.  

No comments:

Post a Comment